We help our patients restore proper posture and spinal curvature because postural distortion causes many forms of pain and a wide range of symptoms.
Harrison DE, Harrison DD, Troyanovich SJ, Harmon S. A Normal Spinal Position, Its Time to Accept the Evidence. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2000; 23: 623-644.
The Negative Affects of Postural Distortions:
Reduced curve in the neck leads to:
1) Acute and Chronic Pain
- D. Grob, H. Frauenfelder, A. F. Mannion. The association between cervical spine curvature and neck pain Eur Spine J. 2007 May; 16(5): 669–678.
2) Neck and Back Pain
- Kai Y, et al. Traumatic thoracic outlet syndrome. Orthop Traumatol 1998;47:1169-1171.
Cervical kyphosis (segmental or total) leads to total spinal malalignment, rounding of the shoulders, headaches, neck pain, scapular pain, and possibly even lower back pain.
- Harrison et al. (look up articles)
- Nagasawa A, et al. Rontgenographic findings of the cervical spine in tension-type headaches. Headache 1993;33:90-95
- Vernon H, et al. Cervicogenic dysfunction in muscle contraction headache and migraine; A descriptive study J. Manipulative Physiol Ther 1992; 15418-29.
- 24. Braff MM, Rosner S. Trauma of the cervical spine as a cause of chronic headache. J Trauma 1975;15:441-446.
- Moore C, Adams J, Leaver A, Lauche R, Sibbritt D The treatment of migraine patients within chiropractic: analysis of a nationally representative survey of 1869 chiropractors. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017 Dec 4;17(1):519. doi: 10.1186/s12906-017-2026-3.
4) Decrease blood flow to the brain
- Bulut MD, et al.Vertebral Artery Hemodynamics in Patient with Loss of Cervical Lordosis. Med Sci Monit. 2016 Feb 15;22:495-500
5) Arthritis in the spine (Degenerative disc disease) -
- Okada et al. European Spine Journal 2009- FIND Title NAme (Does the sagital alignement of the cervical spine have an impace on disk degeneration? Minimum 10-year follow-up of asymptomatic volunteers.
- Faldini C et. al. Sagittal Segmental Alignment as Predictor of Adjacent-Level Degeneration After a Cloward Procedure. Clin Orthop Relat Res (2011) 469:674-681
Reduced curve in the low back leads to:
1) Lower back pain
- Adams MA, et al. Personal risk factor for first time low back pain. Spine 1999;24:2497-2505
The possession of a long, flat, or stiff back substantially increases the risk of serious low back pain, and it is difficult to explain this in other than mechanical terms
2) Knee pain
- Tsuji T, et al. Knee-spine syndrome: correlation between sacral inclination and patellofemoral joint pain. J Orthop Sci 2002;7:519-523
3) Higher Risk of Vertebral Fracture
- Kobayashi T. Flattening of sagital curvature as a predictor of vertebral fracture. Osteoporos Int 2008; 19:65-69.
4) Higher Risk of Developing GERD (acid reflux disease)
- Influence of lumbar kyphosis and back muscle strength on the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease in middle-aged and elderly people. Eur Spine J. 2012 Nov;21(11):2149-57.
5) Reduced General Health
- CBP website- find articles on source of fatigue being lower back pain
Restoring Posture: The Benefits of Chiropractic Biophysics and Traction
Traction Restores Neck Curve:
- Harrison DE, Caiiet R, et al. A new 3-point bending traction method for restoring cervical lordosis and cervical manipulation: A non-randomized clinical controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehab 2002;83:447447-453
Increased curve average of 14.2 degrees after 35 visits of traction treatment.
15.5 months follow up without treatment found that average loss was 3.7 degrees- not much loss for having no treatment
- Harrison DE, et al. Increasing the cervical lordosis with seated combined extension-compression and transverse load cervical traction with cervical manipulation: Non Randomized clinical control trial. JMPT 2003;26:139-151.
Improvement of 17.9 C2-C7 Lordosis after an average of 38 treatments
- Harrison DD, et al JMPT (Journal of Manipulative Physical Therapy)
Traction Restores Back Curve
- Keller TS, Colloca CJ, Harrison DE, Harrison DD, Janik TJ. Morphological and Biomechanical Modeling of the Thoracoc-lumbar Spine: Implications for the Ideal Spine. Spine Journal 2005; 5:297-305.
- Harrison DD, Janik TJ, Troyanovich SJ, Harrison DE, Colloca CJ. Evaluations of the Assumptions Used to Derive an Ideal Normal Cervical Spine Model. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1997; 20(4): 246-256.
Traction Restores and Straightens Scoliosis
- Sponseller PD1, Takenaga RK, Newton P, Boachie O, Flynn J, Letko L, Betz R, Bridwell K, Gupta M, Marks M, Bastrom T. The use of traction in the treatment of severe spinal deformity. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008 Oct 1;33(21):2305-9.
Chiropractic helps with:
- Chiropractic manipulation in the treatment of acute back pain and sciatica with disc protrusion: a randomized double-blind clinical trial of active and simulated spinal manipulations.Santilli V, Beghi E, Finucci S. Spine J. 2006 Mar-Apr;6(2):131-7. Epub 2006 Feb 3.
2. Low Back and Neck Pain
- Chiropractic care for patients with acute neck pain: results of a pragmatic pactive-based feasibility study. Michael T. Hanelinea and Robert Coopersteinc, J Chiropr Med. 2009 Dec; 8(4): 143–155.
- Cost-effectiveness of medical and chiropractic care for acute and chronic low back pain. Haas M1, Sharma R, Stano M. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2005 Oct;28(8):555-63.
- Spinal Manipulation, Medication, or Home Exercise With Advice for Acute and Subacute Neck Pain: A Randomized Trial Gert Bronfort, DC, PhD; Roni Evans, DC, MS; Alfred V. Anderson, DC, MD; Kenneth H. Svendsen, MS; Yiscah Bracha, MS; Richard H. Grimm, MD, MPH, Ph 3 January 2012 Low Back and Neck Pain
- The treatment of migraine patients within chiropractic: analysis of a nationally representative survey of 1869 chiropractors. Moore C, Adams J, Leaver A, Lauche R, Sibbritt D. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017 Dec 4;17(1):519. doi: 10.1186/s12906-017-2026-3.
4. Colic, Acid Reflux and Ear Infections in Children
The Chiropractic Care of Infants with Colic: A Systematic Review of the Literature Joel Alcantara, DC, Joey D. Alcantara, DC Junjoe Alcantara, DC May–June, 2011Volume 7, Issue 3, Pages 168–
5. Neurological Conditions
- Chiropractic care of a pediatric patient with symptoms associated with gastroesophageal reflux disease, fuss-cry-irritability with sleep disorder syndrome and irritable infant syndrome of musculoskeletal origin Joel Alcantara, BSc, DC and Renata Anderson, DC J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2008 Dec; 52(4): 248–255.
- Epilepsy and seizure disorders: a review of literature relative to chiropractic care of children J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2001 Mar-Apr;24(3):199-205. Pistolese RA
6. Blood Pressure
7. Frozen Shoulder
Chiropractic management of frozen shoulder syndrome using a novel technique: a retrospective case series of 50 patients Francis X. Murphy Michael W. Hall, Louis D'Amico, and Anne M. Jensen J Chiropr Med. 2012 Dec; 11(4): 267–272.
9. Immune Function
Enhanced phagocytic cell respiratory burst induced by spinal manipulation: potential role of substance P. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991 Sep;14(7):399-408. Brennan PC1, Kokjohn K, Kaltinger CJ, Lohr GE, Glendening C, Hondras MA, McGregor M, Triano JJ.
- The enteric nervous system and gastrointestinal innervation: integrated local and central control Adv Exp Med Biol. 2014;817:39-71. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-0897-4_3. Furness JB1, Callaghan BP, Rivera LR, Cho HJ.
13. Central Nervous System Function
- Harrison DE, Cailliet R, Harrison DD, Troyanovich SJ, Harrison SO. A Review of Biomechanics of the Central Nervous System. PART I: Spinal Canal Deformations Due to Changes in Posture. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1999; 22(4):227-34.
- Harrison DE, Cailliet R, Harrison DD, Troyanovich SJ, Harrison SO. A Review of Biomechanics of the Central Nervous System. PART II: Strains in the Spinal Cord from Postural Loads. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1999; 22(5):322-332.
- Harrison DE, Cailliet R, Harrison DD, Troyanovich SJ, Harrison SO. A Review of Biomechanics of the Central Nervous System.. PART III: Neurologic Effects of Stresses and Strains. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1999; 22(6):399-410.
A Response to Allegations Against Chiropractic
There have been accusations about the negative side effects of chiropractic adjustments. However, many of these are not backed by concrete evidence.
Accusation 1: Chiropractic Adjustments Can Cause Stroke
Below is a list of studies that overwhelmingly support the safety of chiropractic adjustments
Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Chiropractic Care and Cervical Artery Dissection: No Evidence for Causation by Ephraim W. Church , Emily P. Sieg , Omar Zalatimo , Namath S. Hussain , Michael Glantz , Robert Harbaugh
This article provides an in depth analysis of a wide range of research on the subject, and finds no convincing evidence of a causal link between chiropractic treatment and cervical artery dissection (stroke).
Risk of traumatic injury associated with chiropractic spinal manipulation in Medicare Part B beneficiaries aged 66 to 99 years.
Whedon JM1, Mackenzie TA, Phillips RB, Lurie JD.
This study showed that of the patients studied, those under the care of a Chiropractor actually had fewer strokes than those receiving care from a primary care physician.
Risk of vertebrobasilar stroke and chiropractic care: results of a population-based case-control and case-crossover study.
Cassidy JD1, Boyle E, Côté P, He Y, Hogg-Johnson S, Silver FL, Bondy SJ.
This study investigated the associated between chiropractic visits and vertebrobasilar artery (VBA) stroke. It found no evidence of excess risk of a VBA stroke due to chiropractic care compared to primary care. Often times neck pain and headaches are common symptoms of VBA dissection which precedes a VBA stroke. Thus, these patients may seek chiropractic care when experiencing these symptoms. The increased risk of VBA stroke associated with chiropractic care is not due to the care itself, but likely to patients with head and neck pain from a VBA dissection having seeking chiropractic care before a stroke. The stroke is the inevitable result of the previous VBA dissection.
Chiropractic care and the risk of vertebrobasilar stroke: results of a case–control study in U.S. commercial and Medicare Advantage populations
Thomas M KosloffEmail author, David Elton, Jiang Tao and Wade M Bannister
This study found no association between exposure to chiropractic care and the experience of a VBA stroke. The association between chiropractic visits and VBA stroke is likely patients seeking care for their symptoms from arterial dissection, as found in the above article as well.