Dr. Lisa Arthur, DC, ND lays out an easy-to-follow protocol for restoration after a concussion. She provides 2 vital things to avoid and 4 healing steps to implement for an effective and quick recovery.
Happy Holidays Friends and Family!
We wanted to share one of the Arthur’s favorite Holiday desserts!
Thomas Henzi's California Almond Cake
California Almond Cake Recipe
16 oz. almond paste (containing sugar)
1 cup butter, softened
¾ cups sugar
1/3 cup triple sec
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten free flour)
1 tsp. baking powder
Sliced toasted almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the almond paste, butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 2 minutes.
2. Reduce speed to medium-low, and slowly add the triple sec and eggs. Do not overmix.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture and mix only until blended.
4. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9-in. springform pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Cover the cake with foil to prevent over-browning, and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Allow the cake to cool in the pan, and turn out onto a platter. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and powdered sugar before serving.
Makes: One 9-in. cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minute
Do you have an old injury that has never recovered? There is a treatment that has a 91% success rate to relieve pain and promote healing of old injuries. Its called pressure wave therapy. Last week on Lunch with the Doc, Dr. Jordan demonstrated how the pressure wave machine works and explained the benefits of this treatment.
Today we wanted to share our Lunch with the Doc from a couple weeks ago. We talked with The Well Fitness owner Brain Wisley and trainer Ryah Arthur all about fitness and health. They gave us some amazing insight into the difference between beneficial exercise and that which is dangerous to the body. They provided us with lifestyle changes in order to see true results.
In the fitness world, we are often told that "if there is no pain, there is no gain" and that if we want to see results, we must push our bodies to the limit. However, this can cause injuries and further damage our bodies down the road. Dr. Gary and Brian agree that we should be doing exercises that strengthen our everyday movement and support proper posture while incorporating nutrition that properly fuels our bodies.
Check out the video below and discover how to get great results without long-term damage!
The Well's 5 Pillars of Fitness
1. Nutrition- "It Is the single most powerful thing you do to your body on a day-to-day basis. If you're not giving it a high priority, you're really missing out on one of the best opportunities to make your life better and create a greater well being." -Brian Wisely
2. Cardio-Respiratory Conditioning- "There are 2 main reasons why you should do cardio-respiratory conditioning. One, for the health of your brain and two, for the health of your body. When we do cardio, we release endorphins and serotonin, and those are happy chemicals that create well being in our minds. For our bodies, we strengthen our heart muscle and all the muscles involved in respiration, and we send oxygen increasing our health. Consistency trumps intensity." -Brian Wisely
3. Strength Training- "This is a vital complement to living a healthy life. As we grow older a common ramification is age-related muscle loss, otherwise known as sarcopenia. One way to offset this process is strength training." -Brian Wisely
4. Flexibility, Mobility and Pliability- "When you work on these, your body will fell better and recover from exercise more easily. In addition, you're going to prevent any potential injuries and sleep better." - Brian Wisely
5. Consistency & Recovery- "You have to consistently put your body in an environment which you're wanting it to adapt to. I suggest you schedule your physical activities just like we schedule the rest of our lives." - Brian Wisely
The holidays are a busy time and during this season, we tend to get stressed and sick while putting on a few pounds. Check out our latest Lunch with the Doc to get 10 quick Heathly Holiday Tips to stay balanced & stress-free, keep away the bugs, walk in moderation, and maintain your figure throughout the season!
Did you know that millions of people suffer from bladder infections every year? You may be among them, experiencing the dread that comes with urination and fearing the infection getting worse. It’s hard to know what’s going on with your body and the best way to fix it. That's why we wanted to give you some good information so you have a plan next time you find yourself suffering from a UTI.
On this week's episode of Lunch with the Doc, Rachelle Rodriquez, FNP goes in-depth to explain what a bladder infection is, the symptoms associated with it and the best steps to take to get better quick.
Tune in the video below!
How do you know if you are experiencing a bladder infection?
Pain or burning when urinating
Bloody or cloudy urine
Lower back pain
Feeling confused, exhausted, weak
Many people turn to antibiotics and over the counter medication for relief. But, not so fast… there is a natural solution that works wonders
Here at our office, Marcela Dominguez, MD swears by this home remedy.
Check out this quick fix:
4 oz water
Juice from ½ lemon
½ tsp of baking soda
1 tsp D-mannose powder (Sprout’s, Whole Foods, Mother’s)
Drink twice daily for a few days.
Also, drink lots of water/fluids to help flush out the bladder of unwanted infection. This can include unsweetened cranberry juice as part of the fluids.
If your symptoms continue to worsen, it is best to get professional help. At Health in Balance, we offer testing to determine what type of infection you are facing and the best solution.
Keep these tips in your back pocket for when you find yourself suffering from a bladder infection. Hope it helps!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Whether you’re keeping an eye out for new recipes to wow all of your friends and family or it’s your first gluten free Thanksgiving, this Lunch with the Doc episode will give you some fresh ideas. In this episode, Mamma Lisa shares some of her personal recipes as well as some tips on how to make a tasty yet healthy Thanksgiving meal!
No one likes it when pain holds them back from the things they love like surfing or playing with their kids. Thankfully, there are practical things you can do to help to relieve your shoulder pain. Dr. Gary provides information to help you understand what is causing the discomfort and provides you with at-home care to help lessen the pain, prevent future injuries, and allow you to engage in the activities you enjoy!
Autoimmunity is a health concern that is widespread, but often misunderstood. Let’s take a closer look at this condition. There are steps you can take to maintain the health of your immune system and prevent and autoimmune disease.
The role of the immune system is to protect the body from dangerous invaders such as bacteria, viruses, and parasites. When functioning normally, the immune system identifies threats and distinguishes them from the tissue of the body. It then attacks the harmful invaders. A dysfunction of the immune system, called Autoimmunity, occurs when the body is unable to distinguish between self and non-self tissues. The immune system begins to attack the body itself leading to the destruction and loss of healthy tissues.
School is in full swing! With it, there comes the challenges of ADD, ADHD, difficulty focusing, stress, food intolerance, and fatigue. These difficulties can be discouraging for students. What can you do as a parent to help you children move past these challenges and lead a successful school year? We have some insight for you!